Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Badlands, South Dakota, 1915


(Mary) Marguerite Hutchins is seen above in her highschool graduation photo.  She attended State Normal School in Dekalb, Illinois.  The summer of 1915, when she was 23, she and a group of friends traveled to Yellowstone National Park to work for the summer.  I have her journal and her photos.  This is my attempt to document this period in her life.

June 12, 1915 - Saturday

Took North Pacific line at St. Paul at 10 o'clock at night.  Came through S. Dakota.  Saw Bad Lands in afternoon on Sunday.  Came through Montana.


The above is a photo I particularly like that she took in 1915.  My guess is there are places that still look a lot like this.  But I do wonder what the big building on the right with the bell tower is.  I would hazard a guess to say it is a school as it seems in the middle of nowhere for a courthouse or post office.  Below I have linked the National Park Service's web site and a link to Google images of the Badlands.

Click HERE to be transported to the National Park Service Web Site
Click HERE for images of the Badlands National Park.

1 comment:

PeregrineBlue said...

thank you for this wonderful adventure. have nevernbeen to yellowstone and it amazes me after seeing the ken burns documentary the national parks. she was truly a pioneer in nature exploration.