Monday, December 16, 2019

Photos of horses and the Vehicles they pulled at Yellowstone

I will be revamping this blog - organizing it, adding photos and information and FINISHING my Grandmother's 1915 Yellowstone Journal this year. 

I hope to take a trip that will include Yellowstone this summer.  I will be visiting New Mexico, California and swinging through Yellowstone and back to North Carolina.  I imagine it will be a month-long trip.  I will be writing poetry and possibly a few short stories.  We will see.  I have a lot of old photographs to share with Sepia Saturday - a sight I had SO much fun with years ago and plan on joining in on Saturdays once again. 

Sepia Saturday is celebrating its 500th post!  Sharing history through the medium of photography.

This specific post is once again being linked with "Sepia Saturday - Resharing a Favorite Sepia Saturday contribution"  I particularly LOVE the horses in these images and seeing my Grandmother ride a horse!  I think all the ladies have skirts on...


1915 was nearing the end of the horse drawn carriages in Yellowstone.   A couple of years and they would be gone, replaced by automobiles.  Here are a few photos that feature horses and the various vehicles they pulled...  My grandmother, I believe, is to the left of the white horse.  I had NO idea she could ride!  I am participating in "Sepia Saturday" - please give yourself a treat and see what other photos and memories from the past are being highlighted today.




I like the above as the horse drawn vehicles were soon to be replaced by the automobile... which is "lurking" in the background, above right.    My grandmother is sitting on the far left.



I believe Marguerite is the second to the right.  Doesn't it look like LOADS of fun to trial ride these mountain trails!


This is one of my favorite photos.  

8 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Great photos Margaret! And how wonderful that your grandmother was part of them too. They certainly are worthy reminders of the days spent early in that park.

virginiaallain said...

These are delightful vintage photos to have in your family!

Molly's Canopy said...

You are fortunate to have such amazing photos of your grandmother! Thanks for this wonderful post.

Mike Brubaker said...

These are wonderful images that are very evocative of America's most fantastic park. Your grandmother's time there looks like a true adventure and nothing like the vacation-lands of our time a century later. I look forward to reading more. What size are the original photographs? I'm curious about the wide aspect ration which was more typical of a quality camera than a cheap box camera.
Best wishes to you and your family for a joyful holiday.

tony said...

Beautiful Photos Margaret
My Best Wishes for 2020 x

Peter said...

Absolutely fantastic photos Margaret! Living in a country with 17 million inhabitants and hardly any space left (Netherlands), I have trouble imagining the spacious landscape your grandmother is traveling in.
Best wishes for the year to come!

Little Nell said...

I can see why that last one is a favourite!

Anne Young said...

Marvellous photos.

Happy New Year and all the best for a successful year of researching and writing in 2020 - greetings from a fellow occasional Sepia Saturday blogger from Australia